The standard recipe below makes about 18 meatballs.
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of chopped ramp bulbs
- 2/3 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 tsp chili powder, + 1 tsp later
- 2 tsp salt, + 1 tsp later
- 2-1/2 cups of diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2-1/2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of chopped yellow onion
- Mix together meat, eggs, milk, ramp bulbs, rice, chili powder and 2 tsp of salt.
- Form into 1-1/2″ balls. Brown in skillet.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, water, onion, and remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil, then drop in meatballs. Cover and cook slowly on low heat for 1-1/2 hours.
- Serve with fresh parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
- Alternatives would be to serve on a hoagie bun (meatball sub), or serve on top of pasta / spaghetti.