Caramelized ramps in browned butter.
- 2 bunches ramps, cleaned well
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Cleaning ramps is a bit of work, but it’s worth it! Fill a large bowl with cold water, then place your ramps in the water. Swish them around to remove as much dirt as possible, then remove them from the bowl and give them a second rinse under running water to remove any remaining grit. Change the water and do the same with your second bunch of ramps. Place the ramps on a dry paper towel, then top with another paper towel and pat out as much water as possible.
- Clean the ramps by removing the tip of each stalk. Set aside (don’t slice them – they’re perfect as is).
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat your butter over medium-high heat. Swirl around until browned and nutty, about 3-4 minutes. Add the ramps to the browned butter and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until the ramps are lightly charred and wilted. Serve with your favorite protein as a side, or enjoy them on their own.